Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Travel Tips

After finding out that I got to come to Germany I was really excited! I couldn't believe that I was going to have the opportunity to student teach abroad. Then after that wore off, I started to panic a little bit. What did I know about Germany and traveling to another country? So I immediately started looking through the blogs of the people who had been before to try and figure out what I had got myself into and what to expect. So I decided that it would be good to write a few tips and tricks for anyone who may be reading this later on and are both excited and nervous about their upcoming experience.

Packing
  • YOU CAN DO LAUNDRY! Don't pack 3 weeks worth of outfits into your suitcase. Pack neutrals that you can wear several different ways. I packed a lot of blacks and greys with different sweaters and a scarf to change it every once in a while. 
  • CASUAL CLOTHING! German schools do not have a very strict dress code. The teachers wear jeans almost every day. Dresses are nice but remember you will probably be riding a bike to school (rain or shine)
  • 2-3 PAIR OF SHOES! Nobody loves their shoes more than I do, especially different outfits requiring certain shoes. But I packed 3 pairs on this trip and have really only worn 1. Just make sure whatever ones you pack are good for a lot of walking and bike riding and you can wear them with multiple outfits. 
  • LEAVE SOME ROOM! You will most definitely want to buy souvenirs while you are in Germany. Leave some room in your carry-on or even your suitcase. You never know what you will find while you are here. 
Souvenirs
  • JUST BUY IT! I know you will try to talk yourself out of it and tell yourself you don't need that pair of shoes. But listen, can you get those shoes in the U.S.? Yes they may be a few more euros than you really want to spend, but you know you'll regret it when you get home and can't find anything like it. 
  • BE PROACTIVE! If you're buying gifts for people back home, be on the lookout throughout your trip of what you want to get them. Because the trip really does go fast and you'll end up getting to the last couple days and realizing you need to find everyone gifts so you just pick up random things at the last second. 
Host Family
  • SPEND TIME WITH THEM! I know it is tempting to run to the familiar and spend all your time with your fellow student teachers, but just sitting in the garden talking to your family is such a great part of the experience. You get to learn about the culture as well as just getting comfortable with the people you will be living with for the next few weeks. Plus, they will want to know about you as well and what your life is like which is really comforting that they care and want to know.
  • ASK QUESTIONS! I know it is awkward the first week because you are living with people you don't know and you don't want to be needy or rude. But your host family is a great resource for everything from how do I get to... to what places should I see or what food do you suggest. They are so happy to be able to help in any way that they can! Don't be shy because they are there to help and make this a great experience for you. 
Food
  • JUST TRY IT! I get that food looks weird, smells weird, or is even named something weird. But sometimes those weird things are so good that you wish you could just fill your suitcase with it and bring it home with you. I am probably the world's pickiest eater so trust me, I know the struggle. Some must tries in my opinion are
    • Schnitzel
    • Sausage (all different kinds)
    • Pastries (one of everything!)
    • White asparagus
  • LOTS AND LOTS! So they eat all the time. You will eat breakfast at home, then they eat a second breakfast during a break at school, then they have lunch, then dinner. The beginning of your trip you are not hungry for second breakfast because you feel like you just ate and are gonna eat lunch soon. But trust me, by the end of the trip your body will adjust and you will want that second breakfast or some sort of snack! 
  • WATER! Most places just do sparkling water. You should try it to know if you like it but if not you will probably have to get something else when you go out. At your host house, you can always get water from the sink faucet. 
Traveling
  • DON'T STRESS! Believe it or not you will make it to your plane on time and you will get where you need to be. Just chill out. I used to stress if I wasn't at the gate an hour before the plane left. But after sitting in airports during layovers for hours, I have come to realize I really don't need to sit here forever, I will get on the plane at some point. 
  • CARRY ON! Don't stuff 50 pounds worth of stuff in your carry on. You will hate yourself when you have to carry it through the airport and get it in and out of the overhead compartment. 
  • PASSPORT! Keep it close when going through the airport. You will definitely need to show it at least once and it will be so much easier to have it in a pocket in your purse instead of digging through your carry on. 
  • AWARENESS! It is good to always be aware of where your things are and keeping an eye out for yourself. But don't be paranoid the whole trip that something will happen. As long as you're smart about things, you wont have any problems. 
These do not at all cover everything you need to know but at least it is a start. I hope this is helpful and makes you feel a little better about your trip. It is an amazing experience so just enjoy it and don't worry the whole time. You have great help and resources available to you so use them if you need to. Enjoy every minute! 

No comments:

Post a Comment