Friday, April 20, 2018

The weekend already?!

It is hard for me to believe that my first week in Germany is almost over. A third of my trip has come and gone and it is a little sad. My first week has been amazing though! I started out a little homesick but all the experiences I have had has really helped me enjoy myself.

The biggest help is my host family. They have been so welcoming and helpful in my first week with helping me adjust to Werne. They actually remind me of my own family in a lot of ways which is very comforting. I think I was matched with the perfect family! I have fun sitting outside spending time and talking with them and learning about them each day. They are so funny and even say and do some of the same things as my family which I love. And their dog Boomer, is so sweet and he makes me miss my dog just a little less.

The school has also been amazing. There were so many differences so adjust to but they have been great. Riding my bike to school was a struggle at first, and I honestly still don't think I know my way, but now I am enjoying it a lot and know I will miss it when I go home. The way they have classes scheduled is also very different but I like the way it gives the students a break between classes to have a snack and interact with their friends. Plus, with getting out so early, it allows for more time to do things in the afternoons which I love. Several days I have gone into town with some of the other student teachers after school and that itself has been an amazing experience.

Getting into town I always see kids I had in class and it is still crazy to me that they are riding their bikes around by themselves. But it is completely normal here and it feels so safe compared to back home. It is also nice just sitting outside at the ice cream place enjoying the ice cream and spending time talking about the classes we had that day and watching other people. The culture here is amazing and I feel like I learn something new everyday. I love how laid back they are here and how much they enjoy being outside walking around or sitting outside to eat. That is another thing I will miss a lot. But I am enjoying it all for the next couple weeks I still have left.




Overall, I am so glad that I have had this opportunity. I was nervous before I left and had started to wish that I hadn't decided to do it. But now that I am here I am so glad I did because I never would have had an experience like this if it weren't for this program. I can't wait to get back and tell everyone about how amazing it is here and I really hope that one day I can bring them to see it for themselves, because nothing I say will ever be as good as actually getting to experience it. I can't wait to see what the next couple weeks have in store for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment